Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Happy & (un)Healthy

I’m looking for a way to eat bachelor food while still eating somewhat healthy. I’ve been dying for Buffalo wings recently but thought I’d try something different.

Last night, I pan-seared a chicken breast (using minimal oil) that I had marinated in wing sauce overnight. I then sautéed some garlic with celery & carrots as a side dish to the chicken and served it all with a ranch dipping sauce. It was healthier than wings, had the same flavors but a fraction of the fat. I felt pretty proud of myself.

But... it didn’t work. There’s no substitution for the real thing. I want fried foods now more than ever. And my homemade lunch of sautéed broccoli & white beans in pesto sauce isn't helping satisfy that craving. I don't know why I'm drawn to these foods. Maybe fried food stimulates a chemical release in the brain that gives me some kind of emotional high?

Soon, I will be getting wings. I may go to the gym to help offset the effects of eating such a fat-filled meal, but I may be too “tired” for that.

No comments: