Thursday, April 20, 2006

NBC Loses on the Olympics

Apparently, the Winter Games did not live up to the network's expectations. NBC Universal attached a $70 million loss in the 1st quarter to the games (an 8% decline in profits from $709 million to $654 million).

The Winter Games drew revenue of $684 million, but NBC spent close to $600 million just for rights to air them. It's all Bode Miller's fault! The majorly hyped events fell flat with our athletes getting tossed on their arses.

It's not a surprise to most. The Summer games tend to draw bigger crowds (I don't know why...seriously). NBC is going to pump $1.2 billion into that with hopes of making $800 million to a billion. Maybe if we make the Olympics all about betting, more people would get into it? It's less Olympical, but much more American.

Something makes me think that Americans don't really care too much about the Olympics. With TiVo, I was able to watch every event (including Ice Dancing) and really take it all in. But I think I'm the exception. I guess most folks have enough going on in their lives to make that much time in front of the TV feel like a waste. Thank god that's not me!

No comments: