Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Back at Work

This is my first week back. It picked up right where I left it. I had 7 voice mails this afternoon while I was out at an all day meeting. I have things from this meeting that need to be done by Friday. I already have things that need to be done by Thursday that I can't get to. I'll be in many meetings Wednesday to keep me from doing any of those things. On top of all this, so many people are out of the office that it's impossible to get anything done in the first place.

This is my everyday. It's a fast-paced, over-achieving rat-race where the wheel you run on keeps getting faster and smaller and the cheese is nowhere in sight. I thought that this was due to my current situation, but I'm starting to see this as a symptom of the current business culture. Everything is faster and time is the most valuable commodity no one can find.

I'm trying to do a few things to help myself:

1. Don't let is get to me. It's up to me to make sure I'm happy.
2. One thing at a time. Focus on the task at hand. Don't bring your computer to a meeting so you can do 2 things at once. I openly end up doing both things half-assed.
3. My schedule is my own. I can only be 1 place at one time.
4. Remember why I'm doing this. Come home to Lilah and Harley and leave work aside.

I try, but it's hard. I can say "this will have to wait," but sometimes they can't. If that happens, then what? I don't know. That's where my anxiety comes from. Too much at once. I don't see a solution in sight. The best I can do is deal with it, which is not easy when I get 4 hours of sleep a night.

Happy Holidays!

No comments: