Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Rockin' The Baby

Lilah was fussy Tuesday night. Harley had been with her all day, so I tried to calm her down, but she was not feeling it! I laid her down in the bedroom on the bed and she stopped squirming for a bit. I ran and got the acoustic guitar and started playing Beethoven for her. She hated it.

Then I started singing, and she loved it. She stopped crying and started kicking. Turns out it's not the music she loves, but the voice behind the music. I played her all the stuff I like, mostly Phish. I had to make sure the focus was on my voice and the melody, not the notes. It was a quick adjustment but an important one. It's the difference between kid's music and songs for a more adult audience. The voice matters most, the human communication.

I had to make sure to play the songs softly so I didn't scare her. Phish songs are pretty much for kids anyway. I find that most good songs are simply and melody fpocus. Beatles fore Babies is hugely popular becuase the melody is the focus. Nirvana was clear that they wanted their songs to be kid's song.

It was so much fun. It lasted 15 minutes, but that's pretty good for a 1-month old! It was something I'd been looking forward to for quite some time (playing guitar for my child). Can't wait to do it again.

No comments: