Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Veteran's Day Parade

I watched a small part of the Veteran's Day Parade yesterday as I went to get lunch. I didn't mean to, but 5th Ave was blocked off. It was pretty amazing. There were so many small groups of older men with signs saying "Vietnam Veterans of Brooklyn" or from Queens. I didn't realize the scope of people involved. Small groups from different pockets of the NYC metropolitan area.

The group from Manhattan had a float and men's choir singing patriotic songs (figures!). But what struck me most was the banner on the back of the float.



"Never again will one generation of veterans abandon another."

I never thought that Vietnam Vets held any anger at WWII Vets for not sticking up for them in the anti-war 60s-70s. I guess some do. Wow.

No comments: