Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Long Live the Hubble!!

Despite the ridiculous talk of abondoning one of the most successful and impactful scientific missions of all time, NASA has been given the OK to service the Hubble Spapce Telescope. If everything goes well, the telescope will be fully operationalthrough 2013.

I understand that the safety of shuttle flights are no longer a given. Putting a man in space is more dangerous now than it was 10 years ago. But to let the Hubble rot in space to help "save money" goes against the whole rationale for space exploration in the first place!

There is no money in space (at least, not yet), but that's not why we're there. We are there to look, learn, and inspire everything we do downhere. When I watch a video that shows me a galaxy millions of light years away that is bigger than I can comprehend, that makes my day better. I'm sure I'm not alone.

We know more now than every before in the histroy of hummanity. We have billions to come up with new tanks and missles, but nothing for the cool stuff. Saving a few bucks is no reason to stop that progress.

No comments: