Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Manipulation of Beauty

I get a little annoyed at marketing campaigns that take themselves too seriously. With the Dove "Real Women" ads, I saw and respected what they were doing but couldn't get too emotionally involved.

This video, on the other hand, really impressed me. Gives a great recap of how much goes into making a woman "beautiful" enough to become an object of beauty, how appearance and individuality is manipulated to be worthy of being commoditized. (I've been reading Marx; can you tell?)

Despite the good qualities of this video, it's still advertising. Dove is making a bold statement not to empower women and changce the world, but to sell soap. If this campaign fails, they'll go right back to celebrity models and perfect skin.

While I appreciate that this ad works to change the status quo, don't forget that it will only be around as long as it sells. Any social good is just icing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is sad at how beauty is used against everyone. Even the most beautiful people. I made a video about this topic as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivrbrJZRSSM