Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Cool! Cool Whip!

Kraft has finally extended there Cool Whip brand into canned bottles. No longer limited to a plastic tub in the freezer section, it's now going head to head with ReddiWip, who has exclusively owned this format for years.

It's good packaging. I love the lid, which is elegant in its simplicity and brings me back to what I love about the product. (Note: that lid is custom, which means it's not easy to make and expensive!) The label differentiates the variants well and creates a nice block of blue at shelf. Cool Whip was redesigned years ago but still looks good. My guess is some designer had a lot of fun with this, but the client went the safe route. I don't blame them.)

But man, it's about time, Kraft! I guess it takes being sold from your parent company for being unprofitable to make this expected, welcomed, and obvious move. Innovation never felt so stubborn.

No comments: